Highlights of JI rally
LAHORE: Following are the highlights of the Jamaat-e-Islami rally here on Sunday:
* People started gathering at Nasir Bagh around 2pm.
* Loudspeakers and Jamaat's flags were hoisted with electric polls from Faisal Chowk to Nasir Bagh.
* Vehicles carrying drinking water for the participants remained with the rally.
* Despite hot weather and humidity workers displayed patience and discipline throughout the event.
* Islami Jamiat Talaba Punjab Nazim Javed Ahmed Kasuri led Asr prayer.
* Jamaat leaders offered the prayer at the stage.
* Ropes were used for rows' alignment for the prayer.
* A trailer stage was set for the leadership.
* Hoardings showing Kargil and Kashmir Jihad were displayed on vehicles.
* A large number of youths were dressed in commandos uniform.
* Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's effigy was burnt.
* Holding placards and banners the JI workers chanted anti-government and anti-Clinton slogans as well as in favour of Jihad and the Mujahideen.
* Handbills showing cartoons of Nawaz Sharif and Clinton were also distributed among the participants.
* Before the leaders' speeches Qura'anic verses regarding Jihad were recited.
* When the JI Amir Qazi Hussain Ahmad arrived, participants welcomed him warmly by chanting slogans.
* PPP Punjab president Rao Sikandar Iqbal, PPP Punjab Labour Wing president Abdul Qadir Shaheen and others also visited the venue to compare their own performance with the JI.
* Elite Force was stationed on the road adjacent to The Mall and SSP Lahore Office.
* Police were deployed alongside the road and on roof-tops.
* Near Faletti's hotel, Alhamra, Queens Road and Istanbul Chowk road leading towards Government College and other roads leading to The Mall were blocked for general traffic.
* Bomb disposal squad cleared the path and remained stationed near Regal Chowk till the end of the rally.
>* Bomb disposal squad cleared the path and remained stationed near Regal Chowk till the end of the rally.